Scaling of model kits
We get almost daily requests in this area. Enlargements or reductions are usually possible with almost every plan / kit. We scale our data in CAD and adjust material thicknesses where possible.
For enlargements, we switch from balsa wood to IBRACO / poplar above a certain factor and vice versa for reductions from plywood to balsa.
Usually you can also tell us material wishes before we start our work.
How does such a project proceed ?
- You determine the scale
- We check our, or your delivered data
- We draw the parts in modern CAD systems
- Then we carry out the desired scaling digitally
- Afterwards we divide the "new" components to our production dimensions in order to be able to cut them.
- The production can now begin
With each scaling, the following things generally change, it does not matter whether we enlarge or reduce.
- All cut-outs in ribs and frames will be proportionally larger/smaller.
- Material thicknesses are not always scalable as well
- Parts have to be strengthened from a certain enlargement factor onwards
- Some parts become templates
- With strong enlargements the "statics" is to be considered by the customer